Monday, August 12, 2013 By: Mandi

How to Dye Your Hair with Kool-Aid

Dying my hair!

Want a new color that lasts a week?  You can try a crazy new color for cheap with kool-aid!  I've done this two summers in a row and I have a lot of fun with it.  Last summer I did an all-over red in my hair, and this year I did different colored streaks of red, orange, and blue.

Kool-aid is accidentally vegan, so it's a great way to dye your hair on a budget!  I got my kool-aid packets on sale for 10 cents each.  I spent a whopping 40 cents on my hair dye!  It is temporary though, so it doesn't last as long as regular hair dye, but it lasts longer than one wash! Last year it lasted 2 weeks, this time I'll have to see how long it lasts!

Kool-Aid Hair Dye

If you want all-over color:

  1. Mix 3-5 packets of kool-aid with just enough water and conditioner to make a paste.
  2. Cover the area to avoid kool-aid stains and wear throw-away gloves.
  3. Work the paste into sections of hair, covering every strand from root to tip. (Or wherever you want the color)
  4. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap, cover your pillows in rags so they don't stain, and sleep on it!
  5. The next morning, unwrap your hair and rinse it out  in the shower.  Do not shampoo, but condition your hair.  It will look really cool when dry!

If you want streaks:

       Follow the above but use less kool-aid, in different colors if you'd like, and cover strands with tinfoil once you've applied the color.

And, voila!

This is a fun, creative way to go crazy with your hair without doing anything permanent.  Have fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment